Each year approximately 300,000 women undergo Breast Augmentation Surgery. Choosing to undergo breast augmentation is a significant and very personal decision for most women. Women considering breast augmentation have lots of questions about the procedure, the types of breast implants available, and the results they may be able to achieve. Beginning your breast augmentation research online is a great way to start. Ultimately, a detailed discussion of the highly-customized procedure and a thorough examination and conversation about your specific goals can be answered during a one-on-one consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Here are some of the most common questions our patients ask about Breast Augmentation in an effort to provide a reliable, informational resource for patients who are beginning their journey:
What is Breast Augmentation?
Breast Augmentation is a surgery that increases or restores the size of the breasts or significantly alters their shape. Breast Augmentation can increase fullness and projection of your breast, improve the balance of your figure, and/or enhance your self image and confidence.
Who is a Good Candidate for Breast Augmentation?
Women who are 18-years old and older, and in good health, can be candidates for Breast Augmentation. While there is no upper age limit for breast augmentation, women who are in their later 40s and older often achieve optimal results from a breast lift combined with the addition of implants. During our consultation, I will evaluation the condition of your skin and supportive musculature of the chest to determine which procedure is most suitable to obtain your desired outcome.
You may be a candidate for breast augmentation surgery if:
- You are physically healthy,
- You have realistic expectations,
- Your breasts are fully developed,
- You are bothered by the feeling that your breasts are too small,
- You are dissatisfied with your breasts losing share and volume after pregnancy, weight loss, or with aging,
- You are unhappy with the upper part of your breast appearing “empty”
- Your breasts are asymmetrical
- One of both breasts failed to develop normally or have an elongated shape
How Can Breast Implants Change My Look?
Woman are often surprised by the wide variety of options they have when it comes to choosing breast implants. We offer a range of implant types, styles, sizes, and shapes, which makes it possible to achieve a look that is well suited to the patient’s figure and esthetic goals. Whether women want to achieve larger, firmer, more shapely, or more symmetrical breasts, we can typically create a custom-tailored breast augmentation plant to match their needs.
What are the types of Breast Implants Available to Me?
There have never been more choices for breast augmentation. The following options are available, depending on your medical history, body shape and aesthetic goals:
- Saline-filled breast implants are filled with sterile salt water. They may be prefilled at a predetermined size or filled at the time of surgery to allow for minor modifications in implant size.
- Silicone-filled breast implants are filled with soft, elastic gel and are available in a variety of shapes. All silicone breast implants are pre-filled and may require a longer incision for implant placement.
- Cohesive gel silicone implants, also known as “gummy bear” or “form stable” implants, are filled with a cohesive gel, made of crosslinked molecules of silicone, which makes them a bit thicker and firmer than traditional silicone implants. This enables them to hold their shape better.
Your plastic surgeon might combine any of these breast augmentation options with a breast lift if there is any sagging or drooping of your breasts.
How Much Does Breast Augmentation Cost?
Every practice calculates the cost of procedures differently. The cost of breast augmentation can vary depending on the length of the surgery and the price of the breast implants. During our consultation, once the breast implants and surgical plan have been determined, we provide each patient with an accurate cost assessment. Breast augmentation costs may include: anesthesia fees, hospital or surgical facility costs, medical tests, post-surgery garments, prescriptions for medication, surgeon’s fee.
Your satisfaction involves more than a fee. When choosing a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area for breast augmentation surgery, remember that the surgeon’s experience with breast implants and your comfort with him or her are just as important as the final costs of the surgery.
How Do I Choose A Surgeon?
Breast augmentation surgery involves many choices. The first and most important is selecting a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) surgeon you can trust.
ASPS member surgeons meet rigorous standards:
Board certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery® (ABPS)
Complete at least six years of surgical training following medical school with a minimum of three years of plastic surgery residency training
Pass comprehensive oral and written exams
Graduate from an accredited medical school
Complete continuing medical education, including patient safety, each year
Perform surgery in accredited, state-licensed, or Medicare-certified surgical facilities
Call Monmouth Plastic Surgery at (732) 842-3737 to schedule your consultation with Dr. Gregory Greco if you think a breast augmentation is for you.