Monmouth Plastic Surgery is proud to offer a plastic surgery operating room that is accredited by and meets 100% of the standards set by the AAAASF. It is the mission of the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities, Inc. (AAAASF) to develop and implement standards of excellence to ensure the highest quality of patient safety through an accreditation program.
Modern surgery and anesthesia have reached new heights in safety and new, less invasive procedures have been developed. However, economic pressures have created a trend in outpatient surgery in which all types of physicians are doing surgery in their offices. Many of these physicians are performing procedures learned during a weekend course and in many cases, are far afield from their training or not in their field of specialty. Another concern is the use of oral or intravenous sedating drugs on patients undergoing these procedures in non-accredited facilities. AAAASF accreditation assures proper credentials and strict requirements for safeguards to prevent this scenario from happening!
The American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities, Inc. (AAAASF) was established in 1980. Its primary mission is to ensure the highest quality patient care in the ambulatory surgery setting. AAAASF is unique among accrediting agencies in protecting patients in an office-based surgery (OBS) setting:
- Requires surgeons to have hospital privileges for any procedure that is performed.
- Requires the use of Anesthesia professionals for deeper levels of anesthesia.
- Requires safe surgical environment, equipment, drugs, etc. through specific standards.
- Holds OBS to Hospital standards.
- Requires peer review (peer oversight) and tracks data (complications, mortalities, etc. with extensive data covering over 2 million procedures).